Thursday, August 5, 2010

Two Moths Fucking and a Shiraz-Viognier

I saw these two little lovers outside our front door this morning. Isn't the green amazing? It really stood out against the brick. I tried to identify them, but no luck.

I tried a Shiraz-Viognier blend last night. So for me, each wine variety has a personality. Shiraz is a serious, big, bold wine, with an undercurrent of fruit and fun. So is Zinfandel, if made well, even juicier, a little less bold. Cabernet Sauvignon is also big and bold, but with less of a fun side. Pinot Noir is serious, but with a subtler side, refined, sexy. Angelina Jolie. Cabernet is maybe a little more like Condoleeza Rice. I respect it, but wouldn't necessarily want to sleep with it.

I like Shiraz quite a bit, and can't come up with a movie star to describe it. The Marilyn Merlot thing is very wrong. She's not a Merlot. Maybe she's a Shiraz. Or Christina Hendricks / Joan Harris from Mad Men. She's a Shiraz. When I think of Merlot, I think of Rosie O'Donnell. There's more to say here. Maybe more on this later. Comments welcome.

So when you take a Shiraz and blend it with Viognier, what's that do to the personality of the wine? Here's what we tried:

http://www.terlatowines.com/wines/australia/domaine_tc/product.asp?Id=625

I have to say, I did quite enjoy what the Viogner did. The nose was fruitier, the flavors a little softer, maybe a little diluted from a typical Shiraz, more softly fruity, more apricot than black cherry. I still love the full-strength Shiraz, but this was a nice departure. Stood up to red meat just fine.

Color: Ruby red.
Aroma: Light Fruit / Apricot
Initial Flavor: Balanced mouthfeel.
Finish: Lingering, Gentle Tannin. Nice.
Overall Impression: Good-Good wine.
Again, scale is [Crap, Okay, Good, Good-Good, Outstanding, Nectar of Bacchus].

No comments:

Post a Comment