Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Resolutions


Ah, 2010 is passed. 2011 is upon us. What shall we make of this year? What will we accomplish, endure, achieve, feel, see, experience? Where will we be rewarded? Tested? Where will slow progress be made? Where will we feel overwhelmed by forces that oppose us? How will we react? Where will we experience "upward victory"?

"Set gentle goals, and meet them."

My gentle goals for this year are to:

1) Spend an average of an hour a day doing something to enhance the vibrancy of my body-mind. If I'm unable to do something on Friday, a two hour hike on Saturday would let things average out. Yoga, meditation, chi-gong, an hour at the gym, tai chi, hiking, biking, breathing exercises, a mindful walk - these are all candidates.
2) Reduce my credit card debt by half.
3) Teach something - a class for kids, a class at work, statistics for a friend
4) Train in something - sculpture, work related things
5) Create a sculpture

Again, I've had so many delicious wines lately. I've been a big fan of Earthquake Petite Syrah through this holiday period. I managed to get a case of CigarZin from Cosentino before the announcement of his winery's closing - sad. The wine tasted even better than before I knew it was the last vintage. Such rich fruit, deliciously balanced.

I'm going to review the VINTJS 2009 Sauvignon Blanc. Pronounced "Vintages", it is a Trader Joe's proprietary brand, with the indication that it was "Vinted and Bottled by Maxwell Creek Winery, Rutherford, CA". I found a Maxwell Creek Winery in McLaren Vale, Australia, but nowhere was I able to find Maxwell Creek Winery in Rutherford, CA. Hmmm. And the labeling doesn't imply that the grapes are sourced from Napa Valley, either. Not a fan of this approach, so far.

The wine I am trying is the VINTJS 2009 Sauvignon Blanc. Alcohol is 13.7% by volume.


Color: Pale Straw
Smell: Moderately aromatic. Notes of Lime, Banana, Green Apple, Mineral.
Mouthfeel: Light bodied.
Initial Flavor/Attack: Light, crisp. Lime is dominant
Evolution/Mid Palate: Lime, Apple
Finish: Pleasant acidity, lingering.
Overall Impression: Okay/Good. I'd give it a B- or C+. Ambiguity about source of fruit is annoying.

(Again, scale is [Crap=F, Okay=C, Good=B, Good-Good=B+, Outstanding=A, Nectar of Bacchus=A+])

No comments:

Post a Comment