Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sunflowers Are Glorious

Okay, so I've had a little too much wine last night, don't feel very sharp this morning. I'm up, going to try to focus and do some sun salutations. The sunflowers are glorious in the garden. They are the variety "Lyng's California Greystripe".



The perfect geometry of the center of the flower inspires me.

These should produce a good number of seeds, some of which I will undoubtedly share with the birds.

Sun salutations are a set sequence of postures, beginning with a standing pose, forward bend, a lunge, a push up, upward facing dog, downward facing dog, a complementary lunge, a forward bend, then returning to a standing position. A good friend told me once that beginning your day with a minimum of five sun salutations does wonderful things for you. So that's what I did today. I watch my thoughts as they wander away from the practice, to the past, the future, to ideas of things to build, things to be, to this blog, and as they wander away from the practice, I just notice that they've wandered away, and I bring them back to the practice, to my breathing, to the alignment of the pose.

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/1040

Seane Corn is one of my absolute favorite yoga instructors. I got to take a class with her at the Yoga Journal conference in San Francisco in January. A quote of hers that sticks with me when I do yoga is, "If you're moving, and you're breathing, and you're connected to spirit, you're doing yoga brilliantly ... beautifully ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment